U.S. Army Reserve Command Aircraft Survival and Flight Equipment Repairer in Los Alamitos, California
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: This position is with the US Army Reserves. Becoming a Military Technician allows you to experience the best of two worlds by taking advantage of the opportunity to become a Citizen Soldier in the US Army Reserve Military Technician Program. This enables you to receive full Civil Service benefits and full Military Reserve benefits. Military Technicians are a vital link between the US Army Reserves and civil service and are one of the most important keys to combat readiness.
This position is with the Army Reserve Aviation Command, Aviation Support Facility (ASF) Los Alamitos, Los Alamitos, California.
Los Alamitos is a small city in Orange County, California. The USA Water Polo National Aquatic Center is located on the US Military Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base. The training base also includes the Los Alamitos Army Airfield.
Description of working environment: Works mostly indoors in an aircraft hangar with occasional work outside in all weather conditions.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Executive Order (E.O.) 12721
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
- Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
- Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
- Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement Eligible
- People with Disabilities, Schedule A
- Postal Service/Peace Corps and Other Unique Authorities
- Priority Placement Program (PPP), Program S (Military Spouse) registrant
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
The duties of this position include:
Performs work order modifications on Night Vision Goggles
Inspects and repairs survival equipment
Performs preventative maintenance checks on equipment
Performs operational checks on equipment
Tests performance of electronic survival equipment
- Occasional Travel
- The business travel requirement is 10%.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates, VEOA, Military Spouses, Individuals with Disabilities, Former Overseas Employees
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- This position requires membership in the US Army Reserves.
- This position is subject to the Lautenberg Amendment.
- Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements.
- This position requires an annual medical exam.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Aircraft Survival and Flight Equipment Repairer without more than normal supervision. Applicants must meet the screen out elements to be considered further. To meet the screen out elements, applicants should document experience in the following: inspect and clean aircraft survival equipment, perform limited repairs on equipment, receive store and issue equipment and a variety of less complex maintenance functions. - Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, and abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprints)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
Physical effort: Light to moderate physical exertion is required in lifting and carrying items weighing 10-50 pounds. May be required to perform extensive standing, stooping, bending and working in cramped positions while inspecting and repairing equipment on an aircraft.
Working Conditions: Work is performed inside and outside. The majority of the work is performed inside on work benches or in a storage area. Occasionally, the work may be performed in areas where dirt, drafts, noise, and fumes may be present. Works around pyrotechnics. May be subject to burns, cuts, and abrasions while working on various types of ALSE equipment.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience above in order to qualify.
For this job, you must meet the qualifications requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click herefor expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 17 position.
- Salary is based on the local prevailing rate.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474287000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-15 to 2017-07-28
Salary: $23.32 to $27.19 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 8
Series: 4818 Aircraft Survival Flight Equipment Repair
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: NCDE171536917149
Control number: 474287000