APL Sr. Manager, Transatlantic Sales in Newport Beach, California
APL, one of the world’s leading ocean carriers, offers more than 90 weekly services and call ports in over 50 countries worldwide. We provide container transportation through our international shipping network which combines high-quality intermodal operations with advanced technology, equipment and e-commerce.
APL is part of the CMA CGM Group, a leading worldwide shipping group founded in 1978 by Jacques R. Saadé. CMA CGM has a global presence thanks to its numerous vessels calling various ports all over the world. CMA CGM has grown continuously, and has been constantly innovating to offer its clients new sea, land and logistics solutions. Headquartered in Marseilles, the Group has employees all over the world in hundreds of agencies.
With over 160 years of experience, APL has the knowledge and the expertise to help our customers grow their businesses and negotiate in an increasingly complex and ever-changing global marketplace – whether that is venturing into new territories or growing in already developed markets.
- Summary Description
This position consists of managing the 2018 budget for Transatlantic Eastbound. The Sr. Manager is required to work with all of the sales regions to increase their customer base as well as handle accounts directly with the primary target of increasing our current book of business. The selected candidate should be skilled in international sales, negotiating, selling technics, delivering presentations, and transatlantic trade management. In addition to working with our commercial team, this position will liaise with our Trade organization to set strategies and drive tactical execution.
- Key Result Areas
Individual performance measures (KPIs) required of the job that align with company goals and ensure accountability for the delivery of measurable results and clear linkage to the Performance Management Process (PMP)
Keys Results (KPI’s)
Result Measurement (Metric)
Monthly Tracking (budget vs actual)
- Key Accountabilities/Job Duties (6 –7 items)
Minimum % of time for accountabilities/job duties is 10%.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/JOB DUTIES
% OF TIME
- Sales Budget- meet national budget plan by working with each region as well as independently for direct customer sales to develop call plans and call specific objectives and materials; conducting sales calls with accounts, following up on commitments and issues that arise during sales calls.
- Business Development- includes strategy for increasing business with each account in the sales territory, target account budget, goals and tactics, and management of sales leads
- Communication- includes (1) continuous intelligence gathering from accounts and other sources to identify actions by accounts or competitors that could mean a threat or opportunity for APL, overall or for a specific market (s); and (2) ensuring prompt forwarding of the information to all pertinent individuals in the APL organization.
- Administration- includes timely and accurate update to sales account updates and information regarding market trends
- Team Selling- includes coordinating selling activity, and conducting joint calls and presentations for accounts that have decision makers in multiple regions and/or markets.
STATEMENT OF OTHER DUTIES
"This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described."
- Reporting relationships:
Supervisor, dotted line reporting, direct reports, indirect reports, key peers
Please attach (or paste below) the supporting organization chart with the job description.
- Key Internal/External Relationships– who, why, how often
(Do not include routine supervisor/subordinate communications)
Who (Internal or External)
Rate negotiations & Strategy
Nashville Customer Support
Customer delivery expectations
Rate negotiations/ /Relationship Building
Rate negotiations /Relationship Building
- Typical problems and decisions required
What is the level of the problem solving and independent judgment?
What sorts of problems are typical for the job?
What decisions are required and what references/guidelines are used?
What decisions are required to be referred to supervisors?
Bridging the gap between customer and company
Knowledge of market conditions, contribution needs as well as supply chain management
- Job Qualifications
Education/Experience, skill sets, desired competencies;
Show which are ‘required’ and which are desired or nice to have.
College degree preferred or equivalent industry experience.
10 years Sales or Trade Experience
Organization and Planning
Teamwork – showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
Respect – extending dignity and respect to all people
Integrity – fostering trust and a positive work environment
Innovation – bringing creativity to the workplace
Customer Focus – achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus
- Physical Attributes and Working Conditions
Physical effort/mobility and special working conditions required;
Describe all physical requirements to be performed based on “essential” duties described in Key Accountabilities/Job Duties. (If normal physical efforts only, please note “Normal office physical efforts”)
Describe any conditions of the physical environment which an employee in this job may find adverse, unpleasant or hazardous.
APL is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Alternative application methods are available for individuals who are unable to use or access our online application system. For assistance, please contact us at Applicant_Assistance@apl.com.